Friday 12 August 2016

It's been a while...

Hi guys,

Sorry it has been ages since I have written anything.  Life just got busy! I will try to be better about writing posts.  I think the last time I have written was in April.  A lot has happened since then.


To start,  I had my first job.  I am very blessed I was able to get a job, and a job that brought me some skills, confidence, and friendships.  For that I am ever grateful.  On Monday,  I am due to start a new job with a different company.  It is exciting how far I have come in a mere 8 months.  Next up is my driving license!

When I started my new job, it made me really realize how unconfident I had become.  Yes, I was in a new country away from everything familiar to me, but I had never realized this until now.  Now, I speak (or try to lol) the lingo, and feel confident doing daily things that were no big deal in America.  Like making phone calls for instance.  Understanding British and Scottish accents is not an easy task.  They are not all lovely and romantic like the ones we hear on TV.   When I first started my job, this was a very hard task.  Just like in America, accents vary from region to region.  While, I think my brain has for the most part tuned out the differences from American to British accents, I still have a hard time with Scottish accents. Here's a fun little video for you to hear the differences.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHD9T4efePA

While some days, I really do miss Missouri...I am truly embracing life here.  One of the hardest things besides being away from friends and family..is missing food and other items that I have come accustomed to in the states.  For instance, dill pickles, beef hotdogs, and Mexican food. Learning lingo, and then switching off and on due to who I am talking to has also been fun.  Common words here: lovely, brilliant, and adding x or xx to the end of sentences when your talking to a friend/coworker in writing.  So many times, I have gone to put xx on texts to friends in America and had to stop myself.

 There has been a lot that has happened in the past few months, I will cover them more later.

Thanks for stopping by!
Erica xx

No comments:

Post a Comment