Monday 24 October 2016

Reflection

I was washing dishes listening to music as our wedding song came on.  Ant just happened to walk in and we danced/hugged to the song.  I can't help but to reflect on the last ten months since I left Saint Louis.  Last December, I left Saint Louis in tears.  I was so scared of the unknown.  I never once doubted that I loved my husband, but moving across the world and leaving everything I know behind was extremely scary.

In the past ten months, I can officially say life is good.  People ask me constantly if I am homesick.  That is such a complicated question.  Yes, I do miss my family and friends.  I miss you all a lot.  I really miss just bumming around town on Saturdays with my mom.  However, that being said Peterborough is home now.  I don't get sad to often from being homesick.  Sure, I miss people, place and things but I don't look back on my decision to move here. 

The hardest things for me is when family is all together, and I don't get to be a part.  I love that my mom makes the effort to Facetime me, so I can say hello to everybody.  But...it just isn't the same.  It also hit me extremely hard when we lost my Grandma, and I was so far away.  Thankfully, we got to come home for the funeral, but I would be lying if I said I never get sad about losing her still.  Knowing that when we come home at Thanksgiving and she won't be there is still hard. 

I get sad knowing that there will be incidents like that in the future, that I most likely won't be able to get home for.  I just try not to dwell on it.

I would say that in the past ten months I have really adapted to life here.  I have tried to immerse myself into the culture (you wouldn't think it was much different but it is) as I possibly can.  I was extremely lucky to get a job right off the bat, and then find a better job shortly after.  I know a lot of people struggle getting work here as an American.  I am learning to drive (Finally), I no longer feel like a lost puppy when I go shopping alone, and I would like to say I am making friends.  It is hard not having any really close friends here.  Sometimes, a girl just needs a gal pal.  I know it will come in time,but sometimes I wish it would come right now. 

My relationship with my husband is amazing.  I feel like people say marriage is hard work, and I am not saying we never have moments, but so far it is nothing short of amazing.  We work together as a team in every aspect from money to taking care of Lilly.  Anthony takes such good care of me, and I would like to say I do the same for him.  I feared when I first moved, that it would be hard to adjust to living together when we never had (much less lived in the same country).  However, my fears were wrong. The hardest part is getting him to eat my cooking! ;)  I know that God guided me to my life partner, and any issues we have God guides us through them.  We work together as a team, and know that communication is truly key.  We laugh together, cry together, and occasionally get angry together.  But the most important thing is we never stop loving each other.  It is truly incredible. 

We travel home in 29 days and I am really looking forward to it.  I can't wait to see family and hopefully our friends.  I can't wait to sink my teeth into some dill pickles and Mexican food.  Not to mention Thanksgiving dinner!

Until next time
XX  Erica





No comments:

Post a Comment